Historical Plaque of Bergkirchen

Bergkirchen Pictures

SchnakeNet Bergkirchen Site

Berg Kirche history

Historical Plaque of Bergkirchen Return to main page

Bergkirchen (163 metres above sea level) is characterized by its historical and geographical situation along a Germanic pass and trade road. It obtained its name from the church that was probably built during the time of Carl the Great (768-814) and dedicated in honour of St. Nicklas by Pope Leo III (795-816). According to the legend, there is a connection between the foundation of the Hoehenkirche and the miracle of the springs which convinced Saxon Earl Widukind (also Widekind) to be christened.

It is assumed that the Berkirche was originally a wooden structure, built on springs that were sacred during heathen times. In the year 1000 this was substituted by a stone building which was constantly extended in the centuries to follow. The introductions of the Reformation took place around the middle of the 16th century. The old parish of Bergkirchen consisted of some 30 farmers. It reached from Oberluebbe and Unterluebbe to Haddenhausen in the north and Wulfersdingsen and Dolmerdingsen in the south.

In the year 1753 Bergkirchen consisted of about 300 houses. The introduction of schooling was in 1650. As of the year 1789 there is evidence of a grocery and cattle market. In 1857 a commemorative statue was erected to the honour of the developer of national road number 772, landrat baron von Schlotheim (1796-1860).

The first post office was established in the year 1883. In 1898 Emperor Wilhelm II was in Bergkirchen to observe the "Emperor's Manoeuvre". In the years 1891 to 1917 the Georgs-Marien-Mine/Osnabruek extracted iron ore from a 10 kilometre long tunnel that reached from the Walluecke to the Porta Westfalica, transported by the so-called "Walluecker Wilhelm", a train that was shut down in 1937. In 1925 a mail van between Bad Oeynhausen and Bergkirchen took up its service. In Commemoration of the First World War casualties from Bergkirchen a war memorial was erected in 1921 on the site east of the church (removed in 1963).

Since 1961 a war memorial on the "Bergkirchener Kopf" commemorates the war casualties of all countries and nations. 1984/85 marks the restoration of the water-mill "Schoene" as a cultural monument in the field of technology. 1991 marks the inauguration of the Community Centre on Bergkirchner Street. Bergkirchen forms part of Wulferdingsen. The community of Wulferdingsen. Due To communal restructuring the community of Wulferdingsen lost its autonomy by the end of the year 1972. On January 1st, 1973 the integration of seven communities of the former township of Rehme and old Bad Oeyhausen, made Wulferdingsen and Bergkirchen part of the new town Bad Oeynhausen.

Return to main page